Thursday, January 31, 2013

Delicious Homemade Apple Pie

Delicious Homemade Apple Pie
 
 

 
This is an Apple Pie recipe that I kinda threw together on my own. I had some apples that I did not want to waste and I was looking for recipes and could not find one single recipe that I had all the ingredients for. So I took about three recipes and pulled components from each and made my own. haha Hope you enjoy!
 
You Will Need:
 
Approx. 5 1/2 to 6 cups of apples peeled, cored,and thinly sliced (you can use any kind you like)
 
1 TBS. Lemon Juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 TBS. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1-2 tsps maple syrup (my little secret ingredient)
2tbs. butter, cubed
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 cup of cream, half & half, or milk (whichever you have on hand)
 
Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
 
 
 
You will need a pie crust, You can use store bought or below is the recipe for my homemade crust.
 
Apple Pie Crust:
 
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, cubed
glass of ice water
 
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
Add the cubed butter.
With a pastry blender or fork, begin cutting butter into the flour until the butter is the size of peas.
Begin adding the ice water 1 TBS. at a time, tossing with a fork. Using a total of about 6 or 7 TBS of water.
Shape into a ball and refrigerate until ready to use.
 
Now onto the Apple Pie assembly:
 
Cut your ball of pie dough in half and roll one half til it's approx. 12 inches in diameter and fit it into your 9 inch pie plate and trim edges.
 
Then pile your apple mixture in the the pie pan.
 
Take the other half of your pie dough and roll out and you can either do the "lattice" type like I did which is just rolling it out and cutting it into strips with a pizza cutter.
Or you can lay it over top and just make a few small slits in the middle.  I also used cookie cutters to make shapes to use as a border. You can do that to fit any holiday or season.
 
Once pie is assembled, brush the crust with some milk and sprinkle some sugar on top and back at 350 for about an hour or until crust is golden brown.
Then,  remove from oven (filling will be very hot)  let cool slightly then serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream and enjoy!!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment